WORKOUT AT HOME: EXERCISES ON YOUR FITNESS MAT
WORKOUT AT HOME: 8 EXERCISES ON YOUR FITNESS MAT
WORKOUT AT HOME: 8 EXERCISES ON YOUR FITNESS MAT
Have a fitness mat lying around at home, and you do not know where to start? Here are 8 simple exercises you can do on your mat, anytime and anywhere! These exercises are easy to do and can be modified to suit your fitness level.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your fitness mat and start your workout now!
Did you know doing push ups regularly do give you benefits for your day to day activities? Besides it being a mandatory exercise for all men to pass their IPPT, push ups are what you need to get your entire upper body engaged. If done well, a push up will engage your upper arm muscles, shoulders, core and lower back! So don't underestimate this simple and effective exercise :)
1. Start in a plank position
2. Place your hands on the floor, on both sides of your mat.
3. Spread your feet, pelvis width apart.
Point to note: Ensure that your shoulders, spine and hips are in a straight line at all time.
Many people have many names for this exercise (Baby Cobra, Chest Extensions, etc). This shows how popular this exercise is! It is simple to do, and with so many benefits. By doing back extension exercises regularly, not only do you improve your coordination of your lower back, but it helps to strengthen your back. This way, you'll naturally see an improvement in posture. Who wouldn't want to stand tall?
1. Lie down on your belly and stretch your legs straight
2. Place your arms on either sides of your shoulders, ensuring that your arm is bent at 90°.
3. Place your forehead on the mat.
Point to note: There are many variations you can do based on your fitness level, but this is just one example of how to do it.
1. Take a deep breath in and slowly bend your elbows out to the side as you lower your body toward the floor
2. Exhale and return to the starting position.
3. Ensure that your movements are slow and controlled
Do 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 15 repetitions, depending on your fitness level.
1. To start, Inhale.
2. While Exhaling, lift your chest off the mat while keeping your belly flat on the mat. Do ensure that your head, neck and chest remains in a straight line at all times.
3. Inhale and return back to the start position, slowly.
Challenging Option: While lying face-down, lay your arms on the sides of your body. Using only your back muscles, do this same exercise.
Want a amazing waistline? And what if we told that you have you get that at home? How exciting would that be?! This exercise focuses on your abdominal and oblique muscles to strengthen your core, shape that waistline and tone the abdominal wall. As a result, you are one step closer to that bikini body, and your jeans fit better :)
1. Lie down on your back.
2. Lift your legs till they are perpendicular to the ground and bend your knees 90°.
3. Flatten your lower back.
4. Bend your arms, such that your hands are just touching your ears.
2. While Exhaling, raise your upper torso to do a crunch.
3. Stretch out your right hand to reach the outside of your left ankle.
4. Inhale and return back to the starting position.
5. Exhale, do a crunch and now, reach left hand across your body to the outside of your right ankle.
Simplified Option: Place your feet on the ground with your knees bend. Complete the same movement but with your feet grounded.
Another exercise for that belly! In fact, it is rumored that doing planks is the one of the best ways to get a flat tummy. This is because this exercise gets all your core muscles working together. And because your core is stronger, your posture gets a little better too! So make sure to add planking in your workout routine :)
1. Lie down on your belly, like you are going to do a Back Extension.
2. Bring you arms closer to the center, about shoulder width apart.
3. Straighten your back, neck and head.
4. Lift your hips to make your back parallel to the floor.
Point to note: Ensure to stack your shoulders directly over your elbows. This is the most effective way to get the core muscles working
1. Ground your toes and lift your hips.
2. Neutralize your spine.
3. Maintain a straight line from your feet to the top of your head.
4. Squeeze your glutes and abs.
Simplified Option: For more stability, bring your feet wider than hip-distance apart.
Whether you love them or not, squats are the most effective exercise you can do. Squats are so easy and are very versatile. You can do them with just your body weight or with additional weights. You can do them alone or multitask with other exercises like Bicep Curls. You can do anywhere too - you can do them while waiting for the MRT!
1. Step on your mat.
2. Stand with your legs slights more than hip width.
3. Point your toes outwards.
4. Straighten your legs.
5. Hold your hands, in front of your chest.
1. Inhale and bend your knees, pushing you buttocks back.
2. Put your whole body weight on your heels.
3. Exhale and stand up while contracting your glutes.
Simplified Option: Hold on to a railing or your bed frame lightly as you squat. This will help you to stabilize throughout this exercise.