Here are some ways you can train those shoulders, pecs and triceps with small equipment. Now, you can maintain that ripped body - even at home!
These exercises are really simple to do at home to work your chest, shoulders and triceps.
If you are a beginner, we highly suggest starting off slow and increasing your reps as you progress further.
As a beginner, you do not want to do exercises with too heavy weights or too many reps.
This will only tire you quickly or worse, you may get injured.
Start off slow, and you'll see how quickly your body transforms!
Choose the appropriate training band according to your fitness level.
Decathlon has 6 training bands of different resistances: Blue (5kg), Green (15kg), Yellow (25kg), Orange (35kg), Red (45kg) and Black (60kg).
Choose one that suits you best and get started!
Do 3 sets of the following 2 exercises each. 8 - 12 reps per set (depending on your fitness level), and rest for 30 seconds between each set.
• Target Muscles: Pecs and Triceps (and a little bit of your Deltoids)
- Wrap your hands on both sides of the training band. With both palms facing each other, straighten your arms
- Wrap the training band around your back and position it at the same height as your shoulders
- Stand with your feet hip-width distance apart and parallel to each other. Straighten your chest and contract your shoulder blades
- Ensure that your elbows are at the same height as your shoulders or slightly lower, and bring your two hands together to touch
• Target Muscles: Pecs and Triceps
- Wrap the training band around the back of your palms
- With both hands on the ground, ensure that your body is in a straight line
- Do the push-ups with controlled movement
• Safety Tip:
- Keep your waist down to avoid unnecessary bending of your back
- If needed, do assisted push-ups with your knees on the ground
Get the appropriate weight for you.
Decathlon has a variety of dumbbells, so pick one that is easy to start off with and increase your weights as you get stronger!
Do 3 sets of the following exercises. 8 - 12 reps per set (depending on capabilities), and remember to rest for 30 seconds between each set.
• Target Muscles: Triceps
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand straight
- With your arms fully extended, push the dumbbells over your head
- Bend your elbows and lower the dumbbell to the back of your head slowly
- Pause for a second, then straighten your arm back to the starting position
• Target Muscles: Deltoids (shoulder), Traps and Triceps
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and bend your arms
- Raise the dumbbells to shoulder height with your palms facing away from your body
- Look up and stand straight with your feet open to shoulder width
- Push the dumbbells over your head until your elbows are almost locked
- Return slowly to the starting position
• Safety Tip:
- Ensure that your arm is as close to your ear as possible, to allow proper shoulder movements
This exercise may not be for everyone, especially if you have back problems.
But if you want to take up the challenge, Decathlon has a set of push-up wheels for you!
It comes in a pair and you can use it for standard push-ups, unstable push-ups and even mountain climbers!
Do 3 sets of this exercise, with 8 - 12 reps per set. Remember to rest for 30 sec after each set.
• Target Muscles: Back Muscles, Pecs and Triceps
- Kneel down and hold the push-up wheel in one hand
- Ensure both hands are directly under your shoulders
- Straighten your arms forward, and let the wheel roll forward
- When coming back up, roll the wheel straight back and keep it stable while maintaining that back tension
• Safety Tip:
- If your shoulder joint hurts when your arm is stretched forward, reduce the rolling distance
- Start this exercise out with a shorter distance and increase it as you get stronger
Congratulations on completing the five exercises above!
Here are two extra exercises to improve your cardiopulmonary endurance and jumping ability.
While muscle strengthening is good, cardio training is also essential!
Do 3 sets of these 2 exercises. Each set takes 30 seconds, and remember to rest for 30 seconds between each set.
• Targets: Endurance, strengthening lower body muscle groups, improving mobility and agility.
- While you skip, shuffle your feet back and forth
- When one foot is forward, ensure that the heel points to the ground, while the other foot is flat on the ground
• Targets: Endurance, strengthening lower body muscle groups, mobility, agility and core.
- Skip while doing high knees!
- Raise one of your knees to near hip height, so that your thigh is perpendicular to your lower leg
- Lower the leg and repeat the same process with your other knee
• Quick Tip:
- If you are a beginner, you do not need to bring your knee up to your hip - start at a lower height and slowly increase it as you improve!